How can you profit from VoWi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is everywhere. According to a recent study by Wi-Fi Alliance as much as 71% of all mobile communication flows over Wi-Fi. So let’s discuss the benefits of VoWi-Fi.
VoWi-Fi stands for Voice over (EPC-integrated) Wi-Fi and it uses a wireless broadband network for the purpose of vocal conversation. VoWi-Fi is a complementary technology to VoLTE and utilises IMS technology to provide a packet voice service that is delivered over IP via a Wi-Fi network.
Both end users and mobile operators will have benefits from Voice over Wi-Fi.
Here are the biggest advantages for customers:
- Can make calls even without a mobile signal (e.g. in a remote location or in a property with thick walls).
- Benefit from security being based on SIM-based authentication as for VoLTE.
- Experience better indoor coverage.
Here are the biggest advantages for operators:
- Unlock revenue opportunities.
- Leverage existing SIM-based security and authentication as for VoLTE.
- Gain the opportunity to access IMS-based services via Wi-Fi access.
- Issue a single bill for the user for all IMS-based services across different access types.
- Ensure ongoing relevance with customers.
- Gain competitive advantage.
- Benefit from voice/video telephony services provided by IMS and the MMTEL application server as for VoLTE/ViLTE.